Thursday 1 May 2014

Amsterdam Zine// Final photos// Self Evaluation














Self Evaluation

This brief has shone a new light on an area I have never been in before. I have very much enjoyed the process of this brief and I know that I will do something like this again very shortly. Whenever I have photos that is! These will be for sale and I am excited to see how they do. I have not yet decided how much I will sell them for as postage has to be taken into consideration.

From following this brief you might have picked up that it didn't run as smoothly has I thought it was going to. This is actually something that many people discover when making a zine, I found that out from some photographers at the college.

To begin with I did think this would be very easy. I begin wanting the zine to be A4 and once I had finished them I sent them off to printed. They then arrived 3 days later and I thought that was it, that was the end of this brief. From opening the book on the first page I knew that the print wasn't good. For some reason all the pictures were pixelated. I then discovered that the resolution on all the photos was extremely low and that I would have to re-print. 

When it came to re-visting this brief I decided two things. One to re-scan in the negatives and second to make the zine a5. Making the zine a5 was simply something I just decided to do, I though having the zines smaller would make handling them easier. 

The packaging was simple enough, I bought some plastic pockets from ebay for a very reasonable price and not only will these pockets protect the zines but it actually makes the zines look that bit more professional. The stickers on the back was a last minute decision that I am now very happy I went with. I began to worry that I would have to keep opening the zines up to find out what number out of 30 it was. This has now made it much easier for me if anything.

I have defiantly ben hit in the face with this brief as I lost a lot of money and I well never, ever, ever not pay attention to the resolution! It's been a massive learning curve for me. I have enjoyed the process very much and I look so forward to my next trip that I can then document and finally make a zine from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment