Tuesday 20 May 2014

Orignial Statement of Intent// What briefs didn't I do and why?


Why didn’t I take these brief on?

RSA Everyday Wellbeing

This brief asks you to design a product or service that facilitates positive behaviors, helping people to embed positive mental health activities as part of their daily lives. Typically solutions to this problem take an explicit approach, which can put off many people who don’t want to be involved in activities that are associated with mental health.

Reason:

At the begging of the year this happened to be a brief I was very excited to start and crack on with. However, after thinking I had a good concept, I began to realise that the brief wasn’t moving on  in any way. On the second day of not starting anything I decided I should give up and get started on the visuals for the Dead Stray’s single release.

This was a brief I wanted to complete. I found good research and wanted to make a newspaper that was only full of good news. Considering this was my first brief of the year it downed my confidence and had me worried.

……………………………………………………………………………


Peggs and Sons

Your job is to design the Winter Collection catalogue for Pegg’s and Son’s. This upper class retail store desires a clean finish that allows the clothes to be the main focus. Think about what layout will work best in making the catalogue easy to understand and legible.

Reason:

I have always been into editorial work. This is why I contacted Pegg’s and Son’s to see if I could have a selection of their photos and use them in a catalogue for their winter clothing range. I really liked the idea of having the content already done and there, my only job would be to make everything look nice. You could say this is the sort of path I want to take after university.

Unfortunately, after trying to get hold of the shop constantly, I think they stopped bothering the contact me and the brief fell thorough. This was a real shame as it’s this sort of publication I would have loved to have in my portfolio.

……………………………………………………………………………


Student Cookbook

The challenge is to create a new and exciting Student Cookbook which is not only cheap to buy, but includes recipes are also cheap to make, with little ingredients, little fuss and maximum taste. Collaboration with Sam Hoh, Sam Lane, Chris Shuttleworth and George Simms.

Reason:

We actually started this brief and in very good time. We made one meal and it turned out perfectly, we all had great fun during the process and took some lovely photos with the help of George Simms, the team photographer.

It was one of those unspoken about situations when the brief seemed to disappear into thin air. We began all working on our individual work and the brief seemed to vanish. I think it might have something to do with having a very large team. Getting everyone together took time and effort an after a while it was clear that most people weren’t that interested.

I did end up doing some collaborations which was good news after this. One with Luke Rossiter for D&AD, and one with Emily James for Dr.Me.

……………………………………………………………………………


Transport for London

Create a campaign that encapsulates the history of TFL as part of its 150 year celebration. Collaboration with Luke Rossiter. 2013 is the TFLs 150th year. The idea is to use a range of media to promote the history of the London Underground and the London Transport museum in Covent Garden.

Reason

This brief was something Luke came up with. It was something he only had a vague idea about and thought it could work for a brief. When it came to sitting down and looking at the brief, we quickly decided that we wanted to do something different.

At the beginning of the year it’s always nice to have an idea of what you want to do, even if you don’t end up doing it. Luke and I went on to do WPP (Global Campaign) for D&AD and it turned out fantastically.

……………………………………………………………………………

Its amazing how my decisions for briefs have changed so much. Because of all the other briefs that popped up during the year this sort of made me change my mind on a few of them.  I did a total of 13 briefs. Only 4 of which a made at the beginning of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment